Recent Active Topics

(Get notified of new discussion with the Discussion RSS Feed. You can also use website change notification software or an auto refresh browser plugin.)

Post & message count Date Author Title or First Words
Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper (216) 2020/08/10 curi so how do you like Heidegger?
Deplatforming and Fraud (196) 2020/08/10 Periergo I see. That is indeed awful then.
Less Wrong Related Dicussion (14) 2020/08/10 curi It's hard to get attention on LW because attention is mostly allocated by social dynamics but people don't admit that and will be hostile if you talk about it. But I don't want to social climb and they will mostly just blame my objective content quali
Open Discussion 2 (2019) (309) 2020/08/10 curi Blizzard allegedly partially pays employees with in-game mounts and an honor points rewards program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anolmt8klyQ [image]
Gamer MeToo Witch Hunt (3) 2020/08/10 Oi They are recreating the cultural rules, that is the civil culture, ie political reason by demonstration By staking the outrage, these micro-mutations, in many ways reflect the way dada pieced together pieces from EVERYTHING, into a single canvas
Social Dynamics Summary Notes (1) 2020/08/10 curi Often there is plausible deniability socially but, at the same time, there *is not* plausible deniability from a perspective of using reason, logic, evidence, science, etc. And vice versa. Often logically/rationally "I did not say or mean X" is ade
Exploring Gender as a Social Construct (23) 2020/08/10 Periergo #17015 There are a lot of confounding variables to be sure. I don't yet think this necessarily means drugs do not work or there is no such thing as mental illness. There may be too many confounds for us to even possibly arrive at a correct answer.
Open Thread: Objectivism Discussion (144) 2020/08/10 nikluk > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF22Eo7J7d0&lc=UgyU327hOURrsnTrJOp4AaABAg > [image] I don’t know what Thomas Ott means by “not allowed to publish their opinions”. Does he mean in general? As commentary on ARI articles / posts (I don’t
Bottleneck Examples (2) 2020/08/08 curi #17007 Yeah something like concentration, focus or mental energy is commonly more of a bottleneck than time. A bigger issue is figuring out a good approach. Having a lot of resources (mental and otherwise) won't help much if you're following a bad
Asking Good Questions (9) 2020/08/08 Periergo #17003 You have the mind of a jet engine. Very cool.
Alisa Discussion (125) 2020/08/07 Anonymous > 28 out of 28 correct in 2 minutes 34 seconds, which is less than 2 seconds per question double check your math
Asch Conformity Could Explain the Conjunction Fallacy (3) 2020/08/06 Anonymous #16986 It's not just any college students, either. This sorta research more often is done at research oriented schools like UBC (where some Conjunction Fallacy research was done) with very selective admissions, not at community colleges or party schoo
Can Social Dynamics Explain Conjunction Fallacy Experimental Results? (6) 2020/08/05 curi #16983 The standard timeline is roughly: You like programming and find it compatible with your way of thinking. You dabble in middle school. You take a few programming classes during high school and do a bit more hobby stuff too. (Being really into it
Algorithmic Animal Behavior (6) 2020/08/04 Anonymous > This might be due primarily due to lack of selection pressure to evolve good software security systems Has there *ever* been evolutionary pressure to evolve this? ppl usually don't think that there's anything deep going on with birds that have
Reform Requires Reason (6) 2020/08/04 Periergo #16956 omg this is horrifying. I wish I had not seen that. Poor man was terrified out of his mind and they killed him for it. How much death and destruction has come from this, how much more to come? Life is suffering.
Discussions Have Prerequisites (5) 2020/08/04 max #16662 #16665 @Gavin: you can check the source code for like google analytics or similar things. GA doesn't give you the IP address but does show geolocation and "user journey" type stuff. also since ET runs a server he presumably has something
Wearing An Israeli Flag (3) 2020/08/04 max i wear [red nail polish on one nail](https://onerednail.com/) as a statement that philosophy and morality are important in daily life. i was keeping count for a while and ~17 people have asked about it since March 2019; (more than 15, less than 20)
I Made New Videos (5) 2020/08/03 Mikey Top Converter
Mario Odyssey Discussion (237) 2020/08/03 sleepy idiot speedrunning session 13
12 Rules for Life Typos in Rule 1 (5) 2020/08/02 Anonymous Rule 11 - P. 286 “The playgrounds were hastily removed, even though they were sufficiently safe, grandfathered re their insurability, and often paid for (and quite recently) by parents.” Should be: “grandfathered were ...”
DJ Khaled is Awful (6) 2020/07/30 Youdeservetodie I hate you DJ KHALEB
Dennis Hackethal, Plagiarist (21) 2020/07/28 Anonymous Hackenthal's book still on Amazon, in print and kindle editions, and with a 5 star review from Logan Chipkin. There is also a website for the book and Hackenthal is publishing articles referencing it: https://medium.com/conjecture-magazine/the-neo-
Politics Discussion (178) 2020/07/26 Anonymous https://kaus.substack.com/p/poor-mr-trump-just-president-nothing Analysis of John Roberts opinion in DACA case > Kausfiles Insaner — John Roberts’ Roach Motel: I've been struggling for a quick, weed-avoiding way to explain how awful Chief Ju
Less Wrong Comment Replies for Chains, Bottlenecks and Optimization (3) 2020/07/25 nikluk #16921 Ok. Now it makes sense to me. Thx.
What To Read (81) 2020/07/20 curi I read *Inadequate Equilibria* by Eliezer Yudkowsky. Pretty good. I particularly liked ch. 3, Moloch's Toolbox, which is a lengthy dialog about what's wrong with the world.

Recent Individual Messages

Title or First Words Author Post Date
so how do you like Heidegger? curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 comte's "law" was relevant, IDK, dafuq HOOOOW My brain is winding down. It doesnt wind down like most other people's, in the way of fatigue. It does by just losing coherent thought I need to sleep Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 yes, wording: Though i am no fan of prussian virtue anymore than i am the state, neither that nor his view on the state are the worst bit Welsh's retort is insignificant, as is the occasional leftist's criticism, he was too prudent Onl Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 i mentioned comte earlier http://www1.kcn.ne.jp/~h-uchii/PhiSciJ/philsci_j4.html But hegel was STILL worse Haym attempted to fix him, right? I still dont buy it John Welsh, Sciabarra's friend likes hegel. I dont Though no fan o Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 *camouflage. Sorry I joke about the hegel-hate syndicate Already, i am a one man hater, so... Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 bete *noir Noir, sorry. But yeah, fellow hegel-hater We should make a club. The hegel-hate-syndicate We would camoflague because well, health and human services We are HHS. You gonna meet us at the HHS meeting today? Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 long story short, trust me, long as you hate hegel, i like you ;) ;) ;) No shortage company, of haters there. At least from me Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 *organized. Rather, i would reorganize it if i could edit Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 albeit even newton wasnt biological but you get what i mean I know i know, i wish i had reorganized the parenthetical bit on plotinus better That is one of the poor structuring bits, on which elliot advised me to improve It is late Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 well hegel claimed newton too empirical So i am not claiming hegel took up biology. Heck, not even literal biology describes the modern left But if you have ever read julian huxley, engels, you know why i hate hegel He didnt even get w Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 the fact i wrote 5 or so replies SOLELY about how much i hate hegel should give you a clue how intense Now imagine i am, as if possible, even MORE hateful towards gnosticism? Albeit, i feel hegel WAS ESSENTIALLY a gnostic thinker (ploti Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 albeit nowhere as bad, hegel You cannot outhegel hegel on being a lunatic That is scoring 100 on a scale of 1-10, how lunatic Hegel is off the charts lunatic Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 if anything, the article is imho too soft on hegel And its mention, liebnitz, uhh in all fairness he had some loony ideas too Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 The very brief "quote (if you wanna call it that)" by schopenhauer in that link is NOT THE FUNNIEST retort by him He had a feisty spunk in some his other takedowns Albeit not as funny kirkegaard on journalists. He would pray for his p Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 Hegel is the Yahoo of philosophers A 90s version of Crapple but on the web. The laughingstock everybody loves to hate And theyre RIGHT TO HATE HIM His ideas WERE detestable Much as Yahoo sucks total ball Hegel was a yahoo. A t Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 *kant Regardless your reasons or uncertainty why you feel you are biased against hegel [People do say he is obscure], You are certainly IN MAJOR company, Hegel haters Schopenhauer was the opposing kantian school to Baden (Hegel) Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17237 oh gawd, I HAAAAAATE hegel Hegel had several contrasts, kant but i think people overplay it. They were WAY closer to each other But hegel was everything wrong with kwnt MULTIPLIED Hegel is my bete noire I would rather worship the de Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17222 I like this so far. I think it is quite plausible that Popper is right and Kant was betrayed by his followers, like Hegel and present day Zizek being basically unreadable (to me). Or maybe I am just biased against these 2 thinkers because I Periergo Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 i understand in retrospect you weren't accusing me I do not have much social value except intellect. And my mind is like insomniacal, intellectually So i need to keep that source of pride. I got defensive, insecure, feeling or figuring Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 i read it years ago I am bound to forget section titles The fact i am able to absorb all of this by muscle memory, i am just lucky i am ONLY mixing stuff up and not puking brain goo [Yes, nonliteral] The canon was the section Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 the canon. It is insufficient to find this by the tables of content Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 well, "only" is a bit harsh Not enough to my liking Naturally, it takes BOTH books to make for clarity But you would END with this, thats why i say Anonymous Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 https://books.google.com/books?id=iRsqAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA578#v=onepage&q&f=false His earlier explanation, evil was only descriptive It is here, he makes the magic work He makes it work by explaining HOW or WHY it does Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 the reason i dont recommend his book on morals is i think he was HAPHAZARD on assigning deontological theory. Was he a deontologist? Sorta. He seemed to wanna halfway many things I also have a distaste for the tables of freedom Which YE Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 it is hidden away in the section, named canon of pure reason My bad, he doesnt REINVOKE the phrase categorical imperative But he is developing more clearly what he means in how pure reason ties into his book on morals Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 no i didn't misread but you did NOT say WHICH PART of Kant you disliked. Originally, nor it is ALL by him https://books.google.com/books?id=iRsqAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA578#v=onepage&q&f=false That is what I meant where I had said he developed furth Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17226 yes, perhaps i did not do a better job I tried. I apologize for that Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17225 that is what politics is. Philosophy He develops his idea of categorical imperatives ties better in later on. This is why he wrote the critique of pure reason Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17224 Dim and clear are different things. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
I didn't say you were lying. Are you misreading? i think kant on a priori, analytic/synthetic, idealism and categorical imperatives is all awful. and you seemed to be talking about other stuff closer to politics. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17222 you wanted me to dim down my conveyance I dimmed it down. Categorical imperatives sounds so obscure as a phrase Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17222 i am not lying Categorical imperatives, search for the specific phrase Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
take a look at this kant stuff i wrote when a philosopher came along and lied he was interested in discussion. https://curi.us/files/ebooks/fi-kant.pdf curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17219 Perhaps because there are multiple sections The tables of freedom are referenced. Apriori is discussed. That of banality is another Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17215 moral panic, utopism (recreating the human race), etc are pure reason Because they "make sense." All want a better world, yada. But they end in dystopia because they are not rational By reason, he means ideology. Where emotions and ideali Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
The stuff you're saying about Kant doesn't look anything like the table of contents and introductory remarks at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique_of_Pure_Reason similarly doesn't seem very related to https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-rea curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17215 Woops. The formatting didnt post how i intended it. Is THAT better though? Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17215 >WHAT was Hitler thinking? Etc Nazis didnt have their own philosophy. It was banal because they took normal concepts, a human fear like jews or defeat and then went crazy with it >That is what he means my reason. Ideology overtaking s Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17210 anyway whereas arendt was referring to coglike mentality (pleasing the boss, loving praise or promotion, etc is narcissism, "just following orders"), Kant is talking the other side of the equation. Who is Eichmann's OWN boss? WHAT was Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17212 you're not summarizing/explaining enough for me to know what you mean. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
re Hicks, if a living, active philosopher is going to impress me, i'd like to see them participate in some high quality online text discussions. i don't like the people who won't do serious debates/discussions and present no public evidence that they curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17210 this is why i had cautioned against a singular interpretation of reason The definition of reason like FLIPPED 180° in meaning by the enlightenment era Kant is defending TRUE reason against the MODERN meaning Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17210 right, he isnt a good economist. Neither was Ayn. She adored copyright e.g. Well, his critique of pure reason is centered around that of modern states being composed of ideologies Ideologies are a form of reason. If that reason tries to Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Heh, every postmodernist claims others misunderstand it Just as we dont understand venezuela wasnt truly socialist & if only lenin implemented a direct democracy Or it isnt ethnicity doesnt exist, it is race They do believe in free speech, yo Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17206 Can you provide a clear summary of the main good ideas you think are in critique of pure reason? curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Searching old emails, I also see that Hicks is a Hayek fan. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17205 Well because that is a cherrypicking of his larger thesis. I didnt say you would agree with EVERYTHING Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17204 My leftists friends hate him due to his book on Post Modernism. Which makes me want to read him. Though they claim he completely misunderstands postmodern thinkers...I dunno. Periergo Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17203 mooost stuff by kant IS awful His critique of pure reason is the OOOOOOONLY good book by him That said, it is SOOO good, it is a MUST No dispute his ESPECIALLY later work was arguably more a foundation for contemporary marxism than, Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17204 Hicks criticism: https://conjecturesandrefutations.com/2019/01/29/stephen-hicks-on-popper/ curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Ok. Stephen Hicks you would probably like He is Canadian, from Rockford (yes, that same 1). He is an analytical philosopher but he has even played devil's advocate on thinkspot on stuff like religion An allround philosopher, he LOATHES political Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17200 Oh the debate is about Peikoff's views on Kant. My current opinion is that Kant is really awful. I've looked into him some, not a ton. I've also listened to Peikoff's history of philosophy lectures and didn't notice major flaws in the Kant s curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> What are your thoughts on Hicks? Not familiar. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17197 hicks is probably an even bigger fav. I just dont get what he sees in Kelley Yes, the libertarianism URL was the Gordon link. My bad, it was secondhand, i had read It should be findable, an original copy though Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17197 Leonard over david always I do confess Brooks is unoriginal. I would even say Childs had some decent work at several points his career even if i didnt like where he took it later https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/immanuel-kant- Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17197 on corporate structure, yeah But compare that to worse, Kelley. What are your thoughts on Hicks? Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17193 Not all aspects I had mentioned are in there Considering how much I read, i BARELY remember to EAT. So i could note cite where I find every little thing I do try to corroborate. That is why i like rothbard. Several ideas i have expoun Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> Particularly his criticism of Peikoff Link please. > Brooks, way better I dislike Yaron Brook too (and he's peikoff/binswanger/ari/etc aligned anyway). Peikoff at least has good material (mostly old stuff). I haven't seen anything valuab curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
so Moldbug is close to Marxism because he is close to Nazism which is close to Marxism. Periergo Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17193 https://mises.org/library/nazi-economic-policy Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17187 along with walter block, david gordon is a fav of mine Particularly his criticism of Peikoff Speaking of him, you mentioned Actually, if i were to choose a fav objectivist, cosman (though off on disease) & yaron brooks I agree, bins Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> my particularly favorite analysis on the nazi economy is Gordon's Link please. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17187 my particularly favorite analysis on the nazi economy is Gordon's He covers in depth the background, the sects, why it didnt matter (the ratchet effect from Higgs), and so on Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17187 i was trying to leverage clarification for calling Yarvin too close to marx It was the impression, P (ok if I call you that for short?) gave, he assumed anything redpill-related implies rightwing theory Nazis were keynesian. Goebbels was Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
I see. That is indeed awful then. Periergo Deplatforming and Fraud 2020/08/10
#17187 I agree. Hence why I say they were too close to Marx Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17185 i am a follower of Meinong I do not think that contradicts Chomsky here Do the precepts of prosocial cognition emerge neurologically? Are concwpts "true" in a certain sense, INDEPENDENTLY of language? Representationalism I actual Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17186 Nazis were national *socialists*. They were too close to Marx. Mises and Reisman wrote about them. you could define "right wing" a lot of ways but the nazis certainly were not economically right wing. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17182 he is a rightist thinker Were nazis not too close to marx? Culturally rightwing, they hated a king only as much a kaiser (also hated by the monarchists) Like the kaiser, they liked a republic with absolute military power Besides bro Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
I think Chomsky's language theory is also bad. And The Red Pill subreddit isn't Moldbug related. https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/ (And it's quarantined by the lying censors at Reddit.) curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17180 VDARE is not a white nationalist hate group. That's a lie. And YouTube has advertised itself as an open platform, not a platform that bans people they don't like (e.g. hat wearers or right wing people). That's false advertising and fraud. curi Deplatforming and Fraud 2020/08/10
Well, it is too similar modern commerce but not in the way Anissimov argues Keynesianism dominates the current system. To me, that is a form of socialism simply disguised by capital exchange Any hedonism is easily explainable stimulus. Though cu Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17179 omg lad, Moldbug is close to Marxism? I was under the impression the fella coined the idea of "red-pilling" Shows how little I know. I'm so klooless. Periergo Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Hoppe was Rothbard's protegee. Rothbard, Mises' own (over that of Hayek) I am way less socially conservative than Land & his influences from sorta cybernetic, transhumanist or postmodern marxian thinkers, e.g. Battaile bugged me but that is secon Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17161 If they really are a white nationalist hate group, why is it awful for them to get suspended? Let's say I run a business and I hate people with hats, why can't I ban people with hats from my business? I genuinely want to know, not saying yo Periergo Deplatforming and Fraud 2020/08/10
I reemphasize, I am not a Moldbug fan Nick Land saw many the same problems you guys do in him Moldbug is too close to marxism for my taste Nick land takes laissez faire economics and pounds his corporate state to a bloody stump Governm Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
In all fairness, Chomsky's theory of cognitive linguistics is NOTHING like his politics I agree. Chomsky sucks as a political guy. Anything economic, moral OOOR sociological His language theory is another case but yeah Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> Have you written about Moldbug? Don't think so. Didn't look into him very much. Chomsky is awful IMO. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17149 Have you written about Moldbug? People keep recommending him as often as people keep recommending me Chomsky. For this reason, I find them both suspicious. Periergo Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Switzerland* *is* Yes, improper syntax. I mean, it isnt a collective noun so the "are" was fine but I meant swiss industry, not persons so... I caught it Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Well I thought it was NGDP, just not RGDP but I must have misremembered then, it is per capita And no not for per capita. Again, I thought NGDP for some reason They do have relatively simple specialized exports. Dentures, primarily. Gold/banking Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> Now they have bigger gdp (yes yes, sucky model. Bear with me) than germany. you must mean gdp *per capita*. but then > Despite being smaller than delaware being small isn't a penalty for gdp per capita and no if the US fell apart today curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
The prince is a scholar too, btw In the 60s, they hadda sell paintings just to stay afloat Now they have bigger gdp (yes yes, sucky model. Bear with me) than germany. Despite being smaller than delaware He wrote a book. I do recommend it. Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Subsidy* I think that is intelligible right? Liechtenstein isnt exact ofc a replication to try just anywhere But it does have lessons And even irrespective, even any view on ideal, It does evoke an admiration. It is a fascinating spin Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Liechtenstein is a really cool example btw of monarchy I assume you are familiar btw, the 2 types of conmon? Liechtenstein is executive or limited king power. Not ceremonial or powerless as in the uk In locke if you recall, his bill of righ Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
You do not need to understand words like passivism. That is why i explained it to you before bringing up the word If you want a link too though, i can do that too But i think it is better if i describe first, then introduce terms Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Am i doing better, articulating for you now? Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Reason is always eternally valid Tragically, that gets blunted in this again, problematic period of transition Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Once that all clears, reason comes back to focus Just focus on survival, laying low Taking from Daoist thought, NRx calls this passivism Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
And demagogues scare me Being i, like you, am a student of reason Welcome to the unsavory interregnum. We barely have a way to survive it It is an accumulation of poor choices haunting us I think humankind can pull thru But it will pull Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Just a thought experiment there I am not literally suggesting you an agent of change anymore than myself A social contract takes consensus That is hard to do without demagogues if you are installing it fresh from an institutional void Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17160 i do agree If it stuck to pure mechanism, that would be great If this major transition (read polybius? Res publica? Forget plato's proposal, focus on the cycle of regimes instead) happened 300y ago, That would be repeatable The que Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17156 when there is a lack of control? Ironically, though wars incentivize usurpation, it isnt how the hooks first set in Social trust runs in paradoxical continuum Think of the state as a forced exchange, all contenders supposing a chosen Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17159 That's awful. Fuck YouTube. Thanks for sharing. curi Deplatforming and Fraud 2020/08/10
I don't like democracy as an ideology like "the people should rule". That invites abuse like punishing unpopular minority groups. The idea that "majority makes right" is nasty. The mob is often wrong. I don't have such a high opinion of the group. Nea curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
YouTube permanently bans VDARE Anonymous Deplatforming and Fraud 2020/08/10
#17156 the lack of classical realist policy, i refer to democracy there as a form of ideology, not a system As a system, there is marketing to the american people. Orwell writes, wars are not meant to be won Others just falter, i am not THAT c Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17154 i apologize for that Here are some readings http://dyneslines.blogspot.com/2007/05/jefferson-and-saxonism.html?m=1 https://mises.org/library/roman-law-laissez-faire-statism https://reason.com/video/prince-of-liechtenstein/ Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17153 That's pretty vague. I'm not sure why you think democracy incentivizes war. I want a government that does way less stuff so there's much less to gain by controlling it. E.g. people won't be able to vote for more subsidies for their group if curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17151 you educate by prospering, allowing people this reason In anarchist theory, all acts are voluntary under this king because it is simply you leave him to be rich And defend your homes when attacked And as long you act in selfinterest, h Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> Scroll up please, you will see I don't understand lots of the stuff you say (and I think vice versa). You can either put up with partial communication or change your style to be way more organized and connected to common background knowledge. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17151 i do not wish to battle either That however is why i oppose democracy It gives incentive to invade. To start wars To control people Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17149 i am not talking rulers Have you ever read Jefferson on the saxons? The constitutional executive structure was argued after jurisdiction, by most uk propagandists during the revolution -- like daniel leonard The ancien regime as mises Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
You sound interested in how to battle over the country/world. I'm mostly interested in how to reason well, figure out better ideas, and explain ideas to people. I want to educate and help people, not fight them. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17145 botie is great but it only works circumstantially or in conjunction strong charisma Poujade had this. My ancestors the huguenots did. But it isnt so simple Civil disobedience, same gist. We saw that in my state, PA for instance but it too Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
The current political climate seems very dangerous to me but I haven't read enough history to make very good comparisons. All time periods have lots of problems and figuring out which problems are more severe and dangerous is tricky. BTW I've looke curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17145 I do not only deny ancap society will occur. I think it is IRRELEVANT when the failed state is in the cards We ultimately have no choice All empires fall It is unideal, that murderous void But it isnt a preference. It is just al Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17145 "you have to evolve something better not just get rid of institutions." Ideally, common law monarchy but totally private law system as might have had the Saxons Ofc, i dont see that happening - culturally OOOOOOOOR economically so: A Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
It's hard to get attention on LW because attention is mostly allocated by social dynamics but people don't admit that and will be hostile if you talk about it. But I don't want to social climb and they will mostly just blame my objective content quali curi Less Wrong Related Dicussion 2020/08/10
> I am no minarchist but axiom would be a bigger issue being I extrapolate a lot What are you then? I'm a minarchist who wants to move to purely voluntary institutions in the long run, with competition and consumer choice, so not a "government" curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17141 and i love hazlitt, bastiat, szasz (underrated) Accad's got valid concerns on EBM but he WAAAAAY *overdoes* it. Szasz might emphasize by contrast, neurology but he does it tastefully. Plus, although I am Jungian oriented in psychoanalysis, I Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17139 Friedman was troubling for sure. I can get over his SSI trick if his ideas on FDI or overconfidence on bank policies didn't bug me. Then there is financialization, the theories on GDP so statically pegged population numbers Alas, I would Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17139 I dislike Hayek too. I use the phrase spontaneous order a lot but that is about it His social evolution was bizarre. His UBI bits were so annoying. He contradicted himself on private law too. I could tolerate his mild sweetiepie handl Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17140 My influences start with my mentor, David Deutsch, a physicist with books heavy on Popperian epistemology. He also liked e.g. capitalism, Austrian econ, Rand, Godwin, Szasz. That was my introduction to libertarianism after growing up in a left curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
And yes. So i am a radical subjectivist but as embedded in Nick Land's cultural paradigm Why do I bring-up as relevant to LessWrong? Yarvin (moldbug) was the foundation of Land's thought Just, Land ditched neocameralism because it is too populis Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17137 I dislike Hayek and Friedman. I like Mises, Reisman, Hazlitt, Rand, Bastiat, Burke, Godwin, Szasz. What do you think of Hayek? I think Rothbard is often good on economics but also had a variety of awful ideas, including about jews, USSR, chi curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Blizzard allegedly partially pays employees with in-game mounts and an honor points rewards program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anolmt8klyQ [image] curi Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2020/08/10
#17128 Something for any other contribution i make, it should be useful to know is I use analogies a lot It isn't only mathematics, it is also religion I have used in this thread too. Unlike Doolittle, I cannot wrap my head around his OBSESSIVE Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGjNUuz7cCY I liked this short video. Brandon Sanderson on "How to Identify an Unhelpful Editor". Best idea from the video: Editors should help you improve the story you want to write, not try to change it into th curi Open Discussion 2 (2019) 2020/08/10
Sorry, ethopoia. Etho+poia. The spelling, i kept thinking, "it is like autopoiesis - oie before the -is or -ia") Again, not quite exact but something similar. If I then unwittingly give off a wrong impression, what I believe... Just know it is Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17130 on social plausible deniability see http://curi.us/2361-social-dynamics-summary-notes and the first comment. --- A common attitude is something like: it was your job to keep me interested and earn my attention on an ongoing basis in the d curi Less Wrong Related Dicussion 2020/08/10
#17129 i did not mean to give the impression i am hobbesian Systems theory is useful as an analogy or dimming down to explain to laymen But it, i do agree, is too empirical to capture the variability, nooks and crannies of human behavior Al Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17129 I agree. That is why I noted Lenin broke from Plekhanov Plekhanov supposed universal human nature. Lenin knew better If you have not read Planned Chaos by Mises, I recommend it. He talks on this Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17126 A little of both. The strength in Quesnay wasn't low taxes (well THAT TOO) but apriori. The word, as coined by Quesnay (senior to Turgot like Colbert+others), laissez faire / laissez passer is a rough translation, wuwei in Lao Tzu's thought Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
I wrote some short comments at: https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/iAnXcZ5aGZzNc2J8L/the-law-of-least-effort-contributes-to-the-conjunction https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/KpXAPsik5SkoComHM/social-dynamics I'm not going to repeat them. Basically curi Less Wrong Related Dicussion 2020/08/10
#17128 I don't mean that game theory type people get the math wrong. They often get the applications to human life wrong, IMO. curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17127 I actually partially dislike a lot of the attempts to model people with math. I think game theory and bounded rationality (or "rational actor") stuff is mostly wrong and doesn't understand people. I appreciate that the Austrians have criticized curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17124 It was rhetorical, I apologize. It is like asking my parents "did you know?" or "wanna hear something?" Wnat I really mean is I figure they don't know & i am gonna tell them anyway That said, I am actually surprised you've not since he Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> I do agree on Turgot. He is largely classified a physiocrat but I don't buy it. That is also said of Law who is, like Turgot not even close I don't know what you mean. I haven't read Turgot. I've read some good things about him. I've seen some curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17121 Ok. So I did circle back, mid-ramble. If I only reply to your points, your replies, i think it is easier to make habit, organized ordering I was actually unaware except for 1 or 2 commenters early on, anybody else was reading I figure Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> Why do you think Lenin broke from Plekhanov whereas Bebel did not? I don't know who Plekhanov or Bebel are. You name lots of people I'm not familiar with and say stuff that's hard to understand for anyone unfamiliar. And I think everyone else her curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> That is something Ayn got. Popper by contrast sought, in his political writings, an end I don't know what this means specifically. But I think Popper is pretty bad on politics and economics (with some good points mixed in). I mostly like Popper o curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17117 perhaps on his use the word rights The issue I have is he uses it as a noun which doesn't fit morally right as in righteous, an adjective I did not mean to suppose entitlement as a legal idea in theory. Only in practice. Ancoms like Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> So abduction is very symmetric induction. Retroduction combines both with deduction. This is a good example of how (from my pov) you routinely start in the middle of topics and make tons of assumptions. This makes you hard to understand. Basic curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> I do know there is tension between christian and objectivist authors (although Ayn still had read her share without as total objection many her contemporary followers believe) I agree. Ayn Rand was less hostile to religious people than many of he curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17117 yes, I am aware about Smith and labor theory. I would also say Ricardo holds either as much blame or a bit more but yes, I know and even agree I do agree on Turgot. He is largely classified a physiocrat but I don't buy it. That is also said Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
I'll rephrase: You didn't get angry even in text, but were polite (i do not simply mean you didn't censor me) & i calmed down, to argue, myself on a more polite level I think the main reason I got worked-up was seeing the bit on "of" or "on popu Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
> Yes, BTW, for others who cannot follow my train of thought, I looked-up your other posts to help with context, on my end. I did not wish to misunderstand you > Here is why I do not interpret: >> Godwin did not have a modern Austrian understand curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
They are recreating the cultural rules, that is the civil culture, ie political reason by demonstration By staking the outrage, these micro-mutations, in many ways reflect the way dada pieced together pieces from EVERYTHING, into a single canvas Oi Gamer MeToo Witch Hunt 2020/08/10
> Also I dm'd you on twitter, if you saw please? I do think I like you. I would enjoy debating with you, picking each others' brains I don't see any DM. Did you send to @curi42? I did get your email. FYI: http://fallibleideas.com/discussion curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#16800 both. I think there is a rhetorical amorphousness to the concepts (exact protocol -- it is wrong to say or do XYZ), which orbits a deeper "narrative (the mob's aim in doing all this)" The irony, is it is simultaneously consistent in an ideol Oi Gamer MeToo Witch Hunt 2020/08/10
Often there is plausible deniability socially but, at the same time, there *is not* plausible deniability from a perspective of using reason, logic, evidence, science, etc. And vice versa. Often logically/rationally "I did not say or mean X" is ade curi Social Dynamics Summary Notes 2020/08/10
I will use my Gab alias "Oi" Oi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
#17015 There are a lot of confounding variables to be sure. I don't yet think this necessarily means drugs do not work or there is no such thing as mental illness. There may be too many confounds for us to even possibly arrive at a correct answer. Periergo Exploring Gender as a Social Construct 2020/08/10
#17104 This was an interesting read though I suspect I understood maybe 5% of it. It felt akin to watching a speeding train pass by and I was trying to find a handle to jump on and it just kept speeding by with no visible handle for me to jump on. Periergo Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
This Isn't Spam – Posting Is Allowed! curi Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
*biographical. Yes i belatedly do notice that mistype of mine Anonymous Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
And no, I didnt dodge your question I replied there is no "more explicit" quotation in Godwin, other than that which I have already shared I gave my interpretation by connecting 2 paragraphs, those were as "explicit" he gets So I did not do Anonymous Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Just to clarify, what I mean is, if you have read Rothbard's work on EVERYBODY ELSE, Rothbard is TOUGH TO PLEASE I don't think he was calling Godwin the enemy Just being himself, unaloof in distrusting the logic behind it Anonymous Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10
Language i do not allude makes ideas I go in depth here because much as language is illuminated by context, in Godwin, The same is true by Rothbard. IDK if you know this but he was harsh on Sciabarra too. Perhaps you would know Sciabarra? H Anonymous Rothbard's Bad Scholarship on Godwin and Popper 2020/08/10